Monday, January 24, 2011

Looking for a Rainy Day Activity? Homemade Play Dough!


The weather is cold and rainy this week where we live, and I have been trying to think of something fun to do with my four year-old daughter tomorrow. Luckily her preschool teacher
e-mailed me tonight reminding me I signed up to make homemade play dough for her class for the month of February, so I thought...why not? Let's go ahead and make it! We'll make enough to play with at home, and also enough to share with her class.

I wanted to share the recipe with you, too, in case you are in need of a fun activity to do this week with your kids! Hope you have fun making homemade play dough...I know we will. Now, the question is, will it be more fun making the play dough or playing with it afterwards?

Homemade Play Dough Recipe:

Ingredients:
3 cups Flour
1 ½ cups Salt
3 cups Water
2 TBSP Vegetable Oil
1 TBSP Cream of Tartar
Few drops “ Neon” Food coloring of your choice or 1 package unsweetened "Kool-Aid" of your choice

Instructions:
1. Mix ALL of the ingredients in a large saucepan.

2. Cook over medium low heat, until the dough comes away from the edges of the pan and it becomes difficult to move the spoon. Remove from heat. Cool until it can be handled.

3. Place on counter or wax paper. Knead until blended and smooth.

4. Store in a large zip-lock bag or air-tight container.

Tip for you- You must let it cool ALL the way before sealing it off, or it will be gooey--even if it feels like a normal play dough consistency after even 20 minutes...it needs longer.

Enjoy and have fun!

No comments: